Our government agency client is looking for a Senior Civil Engineer for Government Agency. This is a long-term contract role.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under direction of the Deputy Director, lead the coordination and oversight of new and renovation construction projects for agency, including commercial, industrial, institutional, maritime and site development projects. Serve in a Sr/lead role on projects, including large and complex assignments. Serve as a department technical resource in area of construction expertise.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the development of Requests for Proposals and Requests for Qualifications for design of selected construction projects. Develop and recommend specifications and scope of work. Develop and submit budget. Coordinate selection committee; interview, evaluate and rate candidate firms. Verify designer qualifications. Recommend selection of designer. Draw up and execute final design contract.
- Review, approve or amend all plans, construction drawings, schematics, documents, estimates and other materials submitted by design consultants. Coordinate process through Preliminary Design, Design Development, to Final Working Drawings/Specifications. Conduct consultant meetings and conferences to identify and resolve issues. Ensure quality of final designs ensuring adherence to all applicable agency regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate public bid process for selected construction projects. Ensure that bidding process is in compliance with all applicable statutes. Prepare agency front end specifications and assemble all appropriate sections of the contract documents; complete as necessary for each construction project. Conduct pre-bid conferences with general contractors; discuss project and answer questions. Prepare and issue any addenda as necessary. Review and recommend contractor selection. Prepare contracts for signature of the Director and Legal staff.
- Conduct pre-construction meetings to discuss contractor’s legal obligations with agency, confirm scope of work, and review terms and conditions of contract. Lead evaluation and selection of construction methods, materials, etc. Coordinate contract execution including performance/ payment bonds and required insurance.
- Supervise contractor during project execution. Monitor compliance with policies in consultation with Compliance Officer. Review, approve or amend construction schedules, shop drawings, cost estimates and other project plans up to designated authority limits. Confirm adherence to agency standards. Develop and recommend project milestones; evaluate achievement as milestones occur.
- Inspect sites; troubleshoot operational and technical issues; participate in problem solving. Monitor progress against timetables; investigate and resolve delays. Verify accuracy and timeliness of all permits, licenses and other required regulatory approvals. Ensure contractor adherence to all applicable city and state laws and agency requirements regarding building design and construction. Coordinate scheduling of outside testing agencies for quality control requirements. Conduct field inspections of work; report findings and recommendations for any action to Deputy Director or designate. Lead weekly construction progress meetings. Review and recommend approval of invoices. Provide ongoing feedback to Deputy Director regarding project status, contractor performance and other relevant developments or issues.
- Review, approve or amend changes to contract terms and conditions. Draft and coordinate approved amendments/changes.
- Maintain and update records of expenditures against budget; monitor and justify variances. Research and recommend action on cost over-runs; draft approved changes to contract.
- Serve as liaison during course of project with city, state and federal agencies and regulatory or inspection bodies. Coordinate visits and inspections of any authorized bank or financial institution representative. Resolve site contamination issues in accordance with the Massachusetts Contingency Plan (MCP).
- Serve as liaison with all applicable utility companies. Resolve logistical and operational issues. Coordinate utility company contractors performing work on agency projects.
- Serve as liaison with other agency departments. Collaborate to ensure efficient and uninterrupted progress toward project objectives.
- Compile, draft and produce all required project documentation, including periodic progress reports, cost estimates, amendments, change orders, invoice approvals,contract documents, surveys, etc. Maintain project files; distribute documents to proper parties as indicated.
- Conduct final inspection of projects. Evaluate quality and completeness of work; ensure adherence to terms and conditions of contract and design specifications. Supervise accurate and timely completion of all required documentation.
- Review and recommend for approval/amendment all tenant construction improvement plans. Assist leasing staff with new tenants and tenant construction alterations. Provide tenants with informationas requested.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to other engineering staff. May supervise Assistant Project Engineers, or others, on selected projects.
- Serve as technical resource in specific area(s) of expertise; act as consultant to other staff engineers.
- Participate in development of annual Capital Improvement Budget, including establishing budget estimates, priorities, schedules and service life expectancies. Participate in preparation of documents for Board presentations; participate in presentations. Participate in development of departmental policies and procedures, including those applicable to engineering and design consultants and contractors.
- Conduct project presentations to City agencies or authorities who have jurisdiction over work to secure approvals.
- Coordinate building improvements or modifications with Operations Department. Collaborate in the development of maintenance procedures; coordinate technical training.
- Design and prepare graphics, signage, presentations, technical drawings and drafting, utilized CADD and specialized software. Prepare site and massing models. Maintain photo and video log of work.
- Assist at special events as requested and perform other related duties as required.
- Work requires a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or equiv.
- 8-10 years of related experience in construction project management.
- Must have the ability to supervise and manage general contractors, subcontractors and engineering professionals who are under contract for performing construction or engineering related services.
- Requires ability to think independently and resolve problems to the satisfaction of the overall budget and schedule.
- A Registered Engineer is preferred.
- Computer skills, with CADD and other specialized software, are required.
- Knowledge of Public Bidding procedures, state laws regarding municipal construction, and current knowledge of construction methods and materials is required.
- Demonstrated oral and written communications skills are necessary.